Thursday, April 13, 2006

It's Not Funny


I don't know what it is about this week, but the rape jokes have been incessant. Just in the last twenty-four hours I've had two men come up to me to tell me a) that my outfit is asking for assault and b) the t-shirt displayed on cross campus that reads "my short skirt + my drinking = my fault?" is a true statement . . . no need for the question mark. When I didn't laugh, but gave them the "angry feminist" death stare, they did the usual "oh come on, Della, it was only a joke". I'm still not laughing.

We've said it time and time again, there are no such things as rape jokes. No one asks to be assaulted no matter what they are wearing or what they are doing. To suggest otherwise, even as a "joke," is offensive and gross. It's time we take back not only the night, but also our sexuality.

No comments: